Thursday, May 19, 2011

This Blog's for You

As I write this, 11 computer screens in America are logged onto www.mommyofthebride.blogspot.com. As you read it, the blog approaches 1500 hits since its start 7 months ago. Post by post, the readership has been increasing.
I started the blog to record and celebrate the year leading up to my daughter Emily’s wedding. At the time I was working on some pretty heavy writing – a memoir of loss and survival – which completed my requirements for a writing degree in December. (More on the memoir at http://www.laurabhayden.com/) What a pleasure it was to start to focus on Em’s future while I wrapped up some very necessary reflection on the past.
Like the memoir, this blog seems to have taken on a life of its own. Last week alone, there were 84 U.S. hits, along with two that originated from Canada and two from Costa Rica.  I can pinpoint the Costa Rican connection. Ariel - my cousin-once-removed (what a polarizing title for a first cousin’s daughter!)  moved  to Central America with her recently wed husband in January.
 But my Canadian readers? Who are you? Mothers of brides? Brides? Or perhaps hopeless romantics like my reader pal whose wedding anniversary is the same day as Em and Ry’s date. It would be fun to know.
 And who is calling up  the site from Germany and Russia this week – along with readers from the Netherlands and Belarus this month?  I’m ashamed to admit I didn’t even know where Belarus was located before starting the blog; but through your connection, I’ve found out  it is a landlocked country in Eastern Europe, bordered  by Russia to the northeast, Ukraine to the south, Poland to the west, and Lithuania and Latvia to the northwest. Thank you for giving me reason to learn that. I wonder if the entries appear in the native tongues of my European fans?
And to my Algerian, Danish, and British readers -- who  logged in early on, but not lately – it  would be cool to see  you in the current Google Blogspot statistics again  - and even cooler to have you and the regular readers become official “followers”  like MH - my colleague from my high-school teaching days .  That would eliminate the one-way mirror feel from my side of blog post..
I’m thrilled to have all of you dear readers  -- family, friends, and citizens of the world -- share the joy of planning Em and Ry’s wedding. Your loyalty to this site assures me: Loves does make the world go round.

PAGE VIEWS BY COUNTRY
United States
            1,389
Russia                         
13
Germany                        
9
Canada                          
6
United Kingdom            
 5
Costa Rica
                     3
Algeria                           
2
Netherlands                   
2
Belarus
                          1
Denmark
                        1         

No comments:

Post a Comment