Sunday, October 7, 2012

A Cousin Encounter of Another Kind (The End)


 Bensonhurst housefront - similar to where I grew up
Did I want to drive by the Brooklyn house I grew up in?
You bet I did!

In less than five minutes my cousin drove north (I think) up Bay Ridge Parkway onto 18th Avenue, and then 78th Street, towards the El and New Utrecht High.  

I sensed a familiarity on the street I hadn’t been on for close to forty years.  About two-thirds of the way down, I recognized four wide cement steps that led to a doorway I’d crossed in and out of - daily - as a kid. There'd be no crossing through it today. The four-family house had been left to another cousin, even longer out of touch, who’d sold the property some time ago.

My cousin double-parked for a minute or two. Transfixed by the landmark, I thought of the many  times I had aimed a pink rubber ball at those steps way back when, my young friends positioned on the sidewalk ,readied for a catch. If one nabbed the rebound on the fly, I was out. Otherwise, every bounce earned me a base in our game of stoop ball. Baseball without a bat - or field. Just cement steps and sidewalk.
We drove on. 
Now as I think back, I realize my aunt, cousins, and I played our own game of street ball that day - on a makeshift field of memory.  First base in a Brooklyn bakery, we were just warming up as we  shared photos of the newest born  - my Patrick, their Anthony - on our Smart Phone apps. Approaching second, around Rosanne's kitchen table, I learned of my Uncle's miraculous recovery from a stroke ten years earlier and his tragic battle with cancer, only a year after that. By early evening we rounded third as we dug  deeper into the past at a local ristorante. Over appetizers and entrees, presented like works of art, we compared our own recollections of the stories we had lived and the stories we'd been told. And still we reminisced -  over dessert, espresso and the requisite anisette.

Home run.

By nine I was driven  back to Penn Station and on an Amtrack train headed north to New England. Back in my own bed by midnight.
What a day!  I 'm  grateful my cousin Joe located me through Peoplefinder.com. He reopened a window to the past with his brave phone call, and at the same time gave us a future to look towards.
Is there a long-lost cousin you'd like to contact?
 
(TO READ THE PREVIOUS ENTRIES TO THIS SERIES CLICK THE NUMBER BELOW )
.
 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 
SPEAKING OF VISITING
VISIT THE LINK BELOW TO LET ORBITZ START YOUR NEXT ADVENTURE

 

No comments:

Post a Comment